warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/drupal/public_html/modules/taxonomy/ on line 33.

Hi Everyone,

This is becoming a habit!

The server is to be relocated again; this time because it's current landlord is moving house, and the server has to move with it!

We're working to minimise impact (which, of course, impacts on our own services as well as the folks we host) but at this stage I can advise as follows:

- Moving-out of the current premesis kicks off on Saturday 26 February.
- The Internet Connection should[1] remain available until Monday 28 February.
- At some stage (time unable to be accurately determined) on Monday 28 February, will be physically taken down and moved to its new premesis.
- The same day, it's backhaul link (a TelstraClear cable connect in Wellington at present) is to be moved from current premesis to new premesis. It's likely that this will involve an IP address change as well, but this is unconfirmed.
- In preparation for the possibility of IP change, DNS TTL's have been lowered. Downtime will be kept to an absolute minimum but you should expect the server to be offline for several hours on the Monday during the transition phase.

The aim is of course to minimise impact (to you and also to ourselves) so with this in mind, David's put a bit of work into a contingency option.

If we struggle with connectivity during the transition, the server will be placed online over whatever means are available, and a rather cleverly architectured VPN + Proxy arrangement will kick in. The result should be that most services (in particular mail and web) will come back even as we work to fix the issues. (Of course, DNS will still be working for all domain names as they're redundantly hosted, any email sent will be queued, etc).

If the contingency plan referenced above is needed, please note additional flow-on effects:
-- It's possible that the non-host record (eg as opposed to for sites we host will not work immediately.

So, unfortunately all the planning that went into the server relocation tonight didn't take into account a few issues that had to be taken care of. Our originally-scheduled downtime was only meant to be 5-til-9 - it turned into 5-til-quarter-to-1am but in the end, we got there.
There's been some further changes in the back-end, so if you spy any issues, please let me know.

The following was also sent via email to all the folks currently on file as having services with

Our server is again on the move; the folks who’ve been providing hosting for me for the last few years in Wellington are no longer offering the service as of this month and as such we’re in the process of prepping the server to be relocated.

** Relocation is to take place at 5pm on Thursday 20 January. Expected Outage Duration is up to 4 hours **.

During the outage the server will be physically uplifted and moved to a new location. This change will include a change of IP address for the server, as it’ll be moving to a new Service Provider. Once placed back online consequential DNS changes will be made to ensure that all sites and services are restored to service quickly, but there is some engineering required in this, so plenty of time is allowed for. Some prep work has already been carried out to make sure the change is as smooth as possible.

IMPORTANT: If your DNS service is not hosted @ and/or David or I don’t directly administer your DNS server settings for your domain names, you’ll need to make contact with me ASAP so we can get the DNS records changed. This can happen anytime from now on, so please email or call me.

If your site remains down after 9pm tomorrow night, please get in touch so we can investigate. We expect to have everything up and running before then.

There are some further changes planned for the future for several of the services hosted, you will be contacted individually if you’ll be affected but the ongoing goal of course is to minimise downtime and maximise site performance and reliability, within the means available to us.

Apologies for the relatively short notice on this change, we had originally intended to occur next week but for a variety of reasons we’ve opted to take advantage of a window of opportunity that exists for tomorrow.

The Admins. is back and all is right with the world. Sorry for the inconvenience of a longer-than-planned power outage this morning - power was restored at around 1030.

Howdy folks - have just had a headsup that there's a need to do some maintenance on the power feed my machine is plugged into. I'll be downing the server at about 8am tomorrow morning and expect everything to be back up and running within an hour or so.

Sorry for any inconvenience.... (again!)

Sorry for the inconvenience, things should be stable for a while now. :-)

[EDIT: Scheduled Outage to move the server will now occur tomorrow (Friday) between 0815 and 1000hrs]

Hi Folks - sorry for a couple of unscheduled outages this morning and the further outage yet to occur later this afternoon.
The people I host with are moving between premesis in Wellington and in the prep for this managed to drop the power to my server a couple of times this morning (!) - a bit later today there will be a 30-to-40 minute outage while the server is deliberately downed, physically moved between addresses and the network is stood up at the new site. Hopefully that'll be the end of it for a while. ;-)

Moving premesis and keeping things operational is a problematic evolution at the best of times, so whilst I have assurances impact will be kept to a minimum, we also know that patience is going to be needed until things are stable at the new site.

Sorry for any inconvenience - please note i knew nothing of this until an hour ago! :)'s been having some oddball reachability issues from some parts of the NZ Internet for the last week or so.
Having sent details to my hosting provider they've been able to simulate the problem and escalate with their ISP; seems that Citylink (who're involved at some layer) made some changes in their building infrastructure recently and this coincides with the window of the fault, and a Layer 2 issue appears to have shown itself...

I'm just waiting to hear that it's finally resolved but hopefully there should be no more dramas!

Sorry folks for the as-yet unexplained loss of service from approx 1345 until 1615 or so. Things seem to be back to normal (and infact better than they were). Monitoring the situation.'s server is experiencing intermittant loss of communications with parts of the Internet - this is being investigated between me and my hosting provider at the moment. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Syndicate content